Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 06:57:39PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 02:14:22AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >
> > I would be a little bit less torqued about foreign aid and a lot more
> > sympathetic to the cause if the aid we were exporting wasn't a better deal
> > than what we keep.  Did you know Iraq has national healthcare, and it's
> > currently paid for by US tax dollars?
> >
> Iraq also does not have a functioning economy.  Now, you might argue
> that providing National healthcare is simply getting them addicted to
> it.  Which I think is true.  However, I think that in this case it is
> the right thing to do.  It would be nice if there were a better way, but
> I doubt there is.  Of course, once US aid stops, they will need to
> decide if they want to keep paying for it themselves.

Iraq had a national healthcare system before Saddam H. came to power. He
kept it going. It is part of what people in third world _expect_ from the
government. That and supression of riots. Not freedom.

What has been in Iraq is hardly a reasonable standard of comparison for
how the USA should conduct its own internal affairs on any issue. But I
happen to know a few details of the recent history.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net