Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On 03/06/07 20:31, Al Eridani wrote:
> On 3/4/07, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
>
>> See, and I have been losing respect for the rest of world for
>> interfering too much in people's daily lives and sitting idly by (or
>> providing only token participation) while the US protects them
>
> Oh this is just too funny! The US protecting the rest of the world?

Occasionally.

> When? Where? Hawaii? Cuba?

The Cubans were actually *glad* we fought the Spanish-American War.

>                             The Philippines?

As were Filipinos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Scouts

    President Franklin Roosevelt awarded the U.S. Army?s first
    three Congressional Medals of Honor of World War II to
    Philippine Scouts: to Sergeant Jose Calugas for action at
    Culis, Bataan on January 6, 1942, to Lieutenant Alexander
    R. Nininger for action near Abucay, Bataan on January 12,
    and to Lieutenant Willibald C. Bianchi for action near Bagac,
    Bataan on February 3, 1942.
    [snip]
    After the surrender of Japan in August 1945, the United
    States granted the Republic of the Philippines full inde-
    pendence on July 4, 1946. At that point the ethnically
    Filipino Philippine Scouts held a unique status in U.S.
    military history: they were soldiers in the regular U.S.
    Army, but now they were citizens of a foreign country. To
    solve this dilemma, the United States offered the Filipinos
    in the Philippine Scouts full U.S. citizenship. Most of the
    surviving Scouts accepted, and the Army transferred them
    to other units to finish their military careers.

>                                               Guatemala?

Well, not so much.

The Banana Wars were a low point.

> Oh, these are too old for you, ignorant of History as you are, having
> been educated here in the US. What about something more recent?
>
> Cuba, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Chile, El Salvador,
> Grenada???!!!!, Nicaragua, Panama, Afghanistan, Iraq.

Chile & El Salvador were definite low points.

Nicaragua?  Which time?

Indonesia?  Huh?

The rest, I'd say, were justified.  It would be a gross understate-
ment to say that South Vietnamese and Cambodians were treated badly
by the North.

>> renders massive aid to the victims of natural disaster.
>
> You must have been in a deserted island 14 months ago when
> the earthquake and the tsunami in Indonesia happened. The US

How many other countries parked large ships offshore and
helicoptered relief supplies into remote areas?

> government was publicly shamed when it announced the niggardly
> sum it had decided to donate and it had to quickly make it much
> larger to deflect ridicule.
>
> Like so many of your compatriots, you seem to live in a fantasy
> world.

As do many in this world, in an America-is-the-root-of-all-evil fantasy.