Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Al Eridani wrote:
> You must have been in a deserted island 14 months ago when
> the earthquake and the tsunami in Indonesia happened. The US
> government was publicly shamed when it announced the niggardly
> sum it had decided to donate and it had to quickly make it much
> larger to deflect ridicule.

    Uh, I seem to recall that there was a bit of slight of hand on that one.
If memory serves the problem was that the *government* hadn't committed a
large enough percentage of US's GNP.  That percentage wise the US *government*
was sending less of a percentage than other nations.  However, gross the US
topped the list by a wide margin.  Note my emphasis on government.  They left
out private donations which, again if memory serves, topped the government's
output.

    I'm sorry but where is it written that when someplace in the world there
is a natural disaster the government must automatically fork over x% of the
GNP or be considered "cheap"?