Re: OT: sponge burning!

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 12:46:02PM -1000, Al Eridani wrote:
> On 2/27/07, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:55:28AM +0100, Dan H. wrote:
> >>
> >> I think in any society, no matter in what system, it's always the stupid
> >> and poor that end up in the military, at least in those ranks that
> >> actually have to do the dirty work and risk their lives.
> >>
> >Please stop perpetuating this myth.  It only makes *you* look stupid.
>
> It's no myth. Educated people in general don't want to be in the military,
> they'd rather attend classes at the university. It's the same in the US and
> in
> Europe.
>
> >I gave a very thorough example [0] using the U.S. Air Force, to show that
> >both officer and enlisted personnel are on average *far* more educated
> >than the average American.
>
> That's only means, if true, that the U.S. Air Force does not idiotize its
> personnel, that it educates them a little more in comparison to those that
> do not go there. It says nothing about how educated those people were when
> they enlisted.

you did not follow that thread through properly as the reality is that
the US military *requires* highschool diploma or better for all
recruits except for a very small percentage who are allowed through
because of other qualifying factors. This essentially forces the
military to have a higher educational level than the population as a
whole. What I'm curious about is how military recruits compare
long-term educationally to the general population of high-school
graduates. That would be a telling number, but I'm too lazy to look it
up.