Re: getting a Samsung ML2510 laser printer working on an Etch RC1i386 box...

From: Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: getting a Samsung ML2510 laser printer working on an Etch RC1i386 box...
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 23:58:00 +0100

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 21:49 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> I would appreciate any suggestions on getting it to work. I will be back at > this machine on Monday morning and any ideas people have I will test out on
> it.

Have you followed these instructions?
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-ML-2510

I have got the printer to work. I ended up using the ML2150 (not ML2510) printer option in foomatic and I chose the gdi driver. Non of the others work. Splix is in the driver pool in Etch...... but it wouldn't drive this printer. However, I could only call it up under the banner of the ML2010 model in foomatic. There is no entry for the ML2510 printer itself in the Etch foomatic world.

I tried more with the Samsung Linux driver package. It doesn't install properly from the CD in Etch. There are install.sh files and autorun.sh files and a whole load of other files that don't work because they are not executable you have to do chmod +x on them. Copying the stuff from the CD to the hard disk doesn't help much. Even after you do a fair amount of chmod +x ing you still get a whole bunch of funny permission problems that it tries to fix sort of before firing up its universal printer configurator or whatver it calls it which then finds the printer sets up the driver and fails to to print the test page.....

Apparently it does work in Ubuntu, Suse and Redhat. But Etch permission land kills it stone dead.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Not yet, I will try this....

It seems to use the "splix" CUPS drivers, these are not available in
Debian yet.

It seems so. The foomatic gui in Etch RC1 recommended hpijs and pxlmono... I tried both but with the same result.

I found a site that lists the hpijs and pxlmono drivers that are supposed to work for the ML2510 printer and the newer ones including splix that Debian doesn't have.

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-ML-2150

I could try the gdi driver.... if Debian has it....???

I will keep messing with it.

Michael Fothergill

--
Cheers,