Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 03:21:54PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I'd feel a lot better about the American military protecting Americans if
> they were actually stationed where they can defend Americans.  How many
> soldiers are stationed in Rammstein?  How many hours is it to a military
> base of significant size?  I mean, this is Oregon, we were bombed by the
> Japanese in World War II and we're in nuclear range of North Korea.
>
> So what happened to the fighter wing stationed at Portland, where there
> might be some hope of stopping an inbound airborn threat?  It got shipped
> to bumfuck nowhere Oklahoma.  Nice show of strength, guys:  Hide behind the
> civilians instead of where the potential threat is.

Oh my goodness.  Paul, you are not that ignorant.  I know it.  Any
attack from NK would have a hard time getting past Alaska and Hawaii
undetected.  Besides, if it was an ICBM attack, having fighters in
Portland wouldn't help.

Besides, the show of strength in the Pacific is the fighter wings in
Alaska, the bombers in Guam, and the Pacific fleet in Pearl Harbor.

> you'll see "aid" going to Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein even.

Nice revisionist bit of history there.  If you go back to the Reagan
Administration (and less so the first Bush administration), you will see
that the Soviets were a much greater threat (short term and long term)
than even Hussein and bin Laden.

Regards,

-Roberto

--