Re: How to get newer kdevelop in my etch installation ?

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 01:57:38PM +0100, Markus.Grunwald@pruftechnik.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > > 2) Use apt pinning.
> > >   I have no experience with this. Won't that mean that in the long run
> > > will draw the whole KDE stuff from testing into stable ?
> >
> > Actually, apt-pinning is a lot easier than you think. Just google
> > "apt-pinning" and the first result should be a HowTo for apt-pinning.
>
> Ok, I'm just starting to read the howto(s). I still wonder what will
> happen on later upgrades, when kdevelop will depend on new kde libraries.
> As I understand it, they will come in, too. Of course, I could just "hold"
> kdevelop after I got it from unstable ...

Well if you ever get problems with kdevelop just do

apt-get remove kdevelop
apt-get -t unstable install kdevelop

Using "-t /version/" instead of "kdevelop/testing" will grab all of
the dependencies from Unstable, along with the actual program itself.
Or, of course, you could just not upgrade kdevelop (Put in your
/etc/apt/preferences that you don't want kdevelop to be upgraded and
you should be fine). Whenever a new feature/bugfix comes out that you
need, uninstall/reinstall.

Beats managing source packages in my opinion.