Re: Hard Drive hdb becomes hdf !!!

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 10:42:11PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 04:21:18PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I built a new computer with two hard drives and installed XP Home
> > Edition on the first drive.  The second drive contains my Debian system
> > - kernel 2.6.17 and Testing.  I intended to use disc 1 of a Sarge
> > installation set as a rescue disk to access hdb and run lilo to convert
> > this box to a dual boot box.
> [..]
> > How can I regain access to my Debian system?
>
> So you have had access in the past? Is the second drive, the one
> containing your Debian system, from another computer and you are trying
> to access it on this machine?

I call my computer Phoenix because it has gone through a massive
upgrade. It had 1 GHz cpu, a motherboard with problems and two hard
drives - hda with windoz for a couple of trivial apps and Debian testing
for all the real work.  I want to do video capture and editing so when
hda died I bought the new motherboard, cpu and hard drive.  I retained
hdb and expected it would be trivial to boot from the rescue CD and run
lilo to regain access.

Actually this is the second time Phoenix has risen from the ashes.  The
first according to my logs was February 16, 2000.

Tom