Re: Qemu and tun/tab usage - /dev/net/tun permissions

Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up bridged networking for a Qemu guest system.  The
> doc I have says I need to do a 'chmod 666 /dev/net/tun' to be able to
> do this.

[This reply is from memory, so it may have some errors, but it should
give you a lead]

This may not help you as recent kenerl block the i/o necessary to
setup the bridge for non-root users. Which means that only root can
setup the tun interface.

Since qemu set itself the tun bridge, you must run it as root (eek).

I've read somewhere on the net that you can set up the bridge in a
separate script. Search with google.

HTH

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they