Re: Help w/failed Sarge install - Dell 8400+SATA

--- "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 12:30:23PM -0800, Peter
> Farley wrote:
> >
> > "Bleeding edge technology"?!?!  I bought the Dell
> > 8400 as-is and used (from the Dell bargain area)
> > over two years ago.  "Bleeding edge" it ain't.
> >
> As Andrew pointed out, Etch is going to release
> anytime now and has been in freeze for a few
> months.  Calling it bleeding edge is not correct.

Well, OK, maybe Etch isn't "bleeding edge" either.
Mea culpa.

> > C'mon, a simple old system like a Dell 8400 should
> > be long-since supported by stable code, even among
> > the volunteer community.
> >
> Well, the 2.6.8 kernel (shipped with Sarge) was
> released on 14 August 2004.  At *that* time, the
> machine was bleeding edge compared to the
> kernel support for SATA.

Hm-m.  OK, I didn't realize Sarge went back that far.
Now that I review the Sarge package versions for some
things that are important to me, I bow to your
collective wisdom -- Sarge is not what I want or need.

Thanks for your help in curing my ignorance.

Peter