Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> Greg Folkert wrote:

>>> First, my mileage doesn't go down until I consistently cross the 80 mph
>>> barrier.  Second, on my 125 mile commute to work, one way, the time
>>> saved at 10-15 mph faster than 60 is considerable.  It's the difference
>>> between spending 12+ hours a day away from the house, to spending
>>> between 11 and 11 1/2 hours away from the house.  Over the course of a
>>> work week that's a lot of time saved.
>>>
>>> Also, I have a buddy that lives in southern Oregon and it's a 560 mile
>>> drive to his house.  It takes him more than 12 hours to make the drive.
>>> I make the drive in around 9 hours.  That's a huge difference in how
>>> tired a person is by the time they finish the trip.   Is the 1 or 2 mpg
>>> I lose by driving faster than he does worth it?  You bet.  I am still
>>> getting 35 mpg so how much can I be losing?  I get about exactly the
>>> same mileage if I drive at 60 - 65 only I'm far less tired after driving
>>> for 9 hours than I am driving for 12 hours which means I am far more
>>> alert and thus a much safer driver.
>>>

>> Piece of info for you, very rarely does my highway speed go under 85.
>>
>> I've been stopped by Police in my 1969 442, more than once. Asking me to
>> get out of the car and search the trunk, the engine compartment and
>> glove compartment... and so on. Only to be given a warning for drive 100
>> +MPH.
>>
>> Last time, the one officer had a digital camera and asked if he could
>> take pictures.
>>
>> I've also been pulled over with my Lancer for going 75MPH in a 70MPH
>> zone, and given a ticket.
>>
>> But, yes, I also drive faster than posted.

I think most people do.  At least in Oregon, you have that option most of
the time even if the cops are out.  Just depends on whether there's a
posted speed limit or if it's a speed zone (semantical difference:  Limit
is the maximum, zones are suggested maximums.  Speed limits are uncommon in
Oregon).

> LOL.  Yeah, I've gotten off what would have been some very expensive
> tickets too.

Not to mention jailtime if he does it in the wrong place.  Oregon doesn't
mess around with 100+ MPH speeders.