Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 10:16 -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

On 03/01/07 19:25, Paul Johnson wrote:
Steve Lamb wrote:
Mitja Podreka wrote:
[snip]
Who's rich enough to afford to waste gas driving faster than 60 MPH, much
less more on a regular basis?  Fuel economy on most vehicles takes a
massive nosedive after 60MPH due to wind drag.
It's a time-money problem.  People would rather spend the extra
money to get there faster.

Saving only 5 or 10 minutes on a 90 mile trip?  Irrelevant.
True, but it still doesn't work out rationally:  Unless you make a lot of
money or gas is unbelievably cheap, that few minutes saved will cost you
more wage-hours than it's worth...

Unless you lose you job being late and you don't want to leave any
earlier. Its a choice.
First, my mileage doesn't go down until I consistently cross the 80 mph barrier. Second, on my 125 mile commute to work, one way, the time saved at 10-15 mph faster than 60 is considerable. It's the difference between spending 12+ hours a day away from the house, to spending between 11 and 11 1/2 hours away from the house. Over the course of a work week that's a lot of time saved.

Also, I have a buddy that lives in southern Oregon and it's a 560 mile drive to his house. It takes him more than 12 hours to make the drive. I make the drive in around 9 hours. That's a huge difference in how tired a person is by the time they finish the trip. Is the 1 or 2 mpg I lose by driving faster than he does worth it? You bet. I am still getting 35 mpg so how much can I be losing? I get about exactly the same mileage if I drive at 60 - 65 only I'm far less tired after driving for 9 hours than I am driving for 12 hours which means I am far more alert and thus a much safer driver.