Re: installation problem with initramfs-tools

   [This is a follow-up to previous post, attempting to supply
more details.]

   I am trying to install debian on a recently purchased HP machine,
with Windows XP pre-installed.  An unsucessful attempt to install the
"stable" distribution leads me to believe this has a SATA hard-disk.

   I downloaded the weekly build CD-image from "testing" on March 1,
and booted it.  The first few steps (hard disk partition, etc) seemed
to go all right.  Then I tried to install the base system.  When asked
to choose a kernel, I chose the default  linux-image-2.6-486.

   Shortly afterward I got the message

> An error was returned while trying to install the
> initramfs-tools package
>
> Check /bar/log/syslog or virtual console 4

When I typed control-alt-Fr, I got in part:

> apt-install: Setting up busybox (1.1.3-4)
> apt-install: Setting up libklibc (1.4.34-1)
> apt-install: Seting up klibc-utils (1.4.34-1)
> apt-install: Setting up initramfs-tools (0.85e)
> apt-install:
> apt-install: Errors were encountered while processing:
> apt-install:  console-tools
> apt-install:  console-common
> apt-install: E:
> apt-install: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code()
> apt-install:
> base-installer: error: exiting on error base-installer/kernel/
>                          filed-package-install

   I'm not sure, but my monitor may be losing the last character
of long lines, so that the message may refer to "failed-package-
install", and there may be a number for the error-code.

   Thanks for any help.