what is installed so far?

If there are already tools like 'apt-get' installed, then you can invoke an install yourself and maybe get better information on what's failing:

apt-get install console-tools console-common

From your log there is no evidence that initramfs-tools failed; that seems to be OK.

Just a bit of bad luck I guess- many people have had problems installing 'etch' in the past 3 or 4 weeks.  My install was failing and I had to use 'debootstrap' to install the system after the hardware detection - the installer itself just kept creating an incorrect URL and failing.