Re: Cannot ping localhost

Bruno Delalleau wrote:
Hello debianers!

For some reason I can no longer ping localhost:

ping -c 3 localhost
PING localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- localhost.localdomain ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2000ms

I saw that when I tried to configure my printer using the web
interface:

http://localhost:631/admin

If I use as root: ifconfig lo, I can ping localhost.

But the next time I reboot I cannot ping localhost: I have again to
become root and use ifcong.

So, my question: how do I save the command ifconfig lo in some place
so that I don't have to redo the same procedure? Is there a script or
a config file?

This is the content of my /etc/network/interfaces file:

### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT
    BEFORE IT.
auto lo eth1 eth2

iface lo inet loopback

### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE
    PRESERVED.

I'm sure that there should be a trick, but which one? I swear that I
have tried to RTFM!

check to make sure you have :
/etc/init.d/networking
with these files linking to it:
/etc/rc0.d/S35networking
/etc/rc6.d/S35networking
/etc/rcS.d/S40networking

an update-rc networking defaults ,might solve this for you.

also, you might want to check out sysv-rc-conf, its a neat little app to configure your init scripts.

hth,
Jeff