Re: Firestarter VS Shorewall

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:25:12 +0100
Andreas Duffner <temp@smilingcat.net> wrote:

> So I just want a working firewall.
> And firestarter does this job.
> I do not know about complex setups with multiple servers.
> I am just using one server, client etc at the time.
> The firewall shall protect one computer at a time.
> And so I use firestarter everywhere.
> I use ssh with X11 forwarding to manage the firewall.

With firestarter? How?

> If I have a pure debian server without gui, it takes
> ca. 70 MB extra space to install firestarter + gui bla bla.
> Then I can use the firestarter gui to setup.

70MB is *huge* amount of data to install *only* to have a gui. IMHO
firestarter is only useful if you already have X installed, though this
is a bad idea on a server.

> But I do not know, if shorewall is better or worse.

Shorewall is very easy to setup. Please see:

http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Firewall_with_masquerading

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)