Re: Two identical usb networking cards problem

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 16:13 +0000, Wackojacko wrote:
> David Fokkema wrote:

> >> /etc/init.d/networking is the script.  The order of the scripts is
> >> controlled by the order in which they appear in the relevant run level
> >> directory /etc/rc(runlevel).d.
> >>
> >> The SXXscript 'starts' the script KXXscript stops it.  These links are
> >> run in numerical order of the XX.
> >
> > This script only runs 'ifup -a', as far as I can tell. Ifup won't log
> > which devices it upped. Furthermore, 'ifup -a' never ups my usb nets
> > eth1 and eth2 when I ssh in, down eth1 and eth2 and then issue 'ifup
> > -a'. However, one of them is always up when my system finishes booting.
> > How can that be?
> >

> Hmm!
>
> from man ifup
>
> '-a, --all      If given to ifup, affect all interfaces marked auto.
> Interfaces are brought up in the order in which they are  defined in
>        /etc/network/interfaces.'
>
> man interfaces
>
> 'Lines beginning with the word "auto" are used to identify the physical
> interfaces to be brought up when ifup is run  with  the  -a option.
> (This  option  is  used by the system boot scripts.)  Physical interface
> names should follow the word "auto" on the same line.  There can be
> multiple "auto" stanzas.  ifup brings the named interfaces up in the
> order listed.
>
> Lines beginning with "allow-" are used to identify interfaces that
> should be brought up automatically by various  subsytems.  This may  be
> done using a command such as "ifup --allow=hotplug eth0 eth1", which
> will only bring up eth0 or eth1 if it is listed in an "allow-hotplug"
> line. Note that "allow-auto" and "auto" are synonyms.'
>
> So ifup -a will only bring up all the interfaces marked 'auto' as you
> have discovered.
>
> allow-hotplug passes the task of bringing up of the interface to udev
> (as this now incorporates hotplug) so /etc/init.d/udev is the script
> that starts the deamon.
>
> As to why this doesn't work and the 'auto' does, its probably something
> to do with the udev rules used to identify the interfaces.  I don't have
> usb interfaces and am not a udev expert so I don't know how much more
> help I can be :)

I have the same feeling. Reading through the documentation I believe I
get a feeling for how it works, but looking through the logs (there
_are_ udev logs and I modified net.agent to log the interface it is
operating on) no devices are brought up by udev (unless I yank it out
and insert it again in my usb hub). So... what happens? It is irritating
to discover that linux does not log everything (as I always tell windows
users who're tracking down fathomable problems).

> Regards
>
> Wackojacko

Thanks!

David