Re: Sarge on Compaq Proliant 1850R with PCI video card

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 15:35 -0500, Trey Perrin wrote:
> All,
>
> I have several Compaq Proliant 1850R servers that have add-on Matrox PCI
> video cards. Sarge installs with no problems, but the servers completely
> lock up (power cycle required) when attempting to start X. If I remove
> the PCI video cards, X starts, but the on board ATI video card can only
> display at 640x480. I have tried other PCI video cards (S3), all with
> the same result. Also, if I press the Caps Lock, Num Lock, keypad
> buttons, etc. the server totally locks up. Has anyone else run into this
> problem before? Please CC me in your reply, because I didn't subscribe
> to this list.
>
> Trey

For whatever reason I've had problems with the 1850R even booting after
adding a PCI card.  I think I've resolved this by running SmartStart and
let it run through hardware detection and save its configuration.  While
you are at it, go into the manual configuration and see if the on board
card can be explicitly disabled.  Your issue with the X server doesn't
sound like the issues I've had, however if the system is leaving the
on-board video in some weird state the X server might not be happy.

-Jeff