Re: Xfree86 problems, sarge/woody

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 08:56 -0800, Arlie Stephens wrote:
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
> 	No such device.
> (EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
> (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"

These are errors, but doesn't seem to be fatal, so I guess you can
ignore them. I think this is because the default X configuration sets up
two mice, to support both USB and PS/2. (This kludge isn't needed in
Etch AFAIK)

> (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)
> (II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: failed
> (II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

The "WW" indicates that this is simply a warning and can be ignored. APM
is used for power management (if you have supported hardware, drivers,
etc) it's a predecessor to ACPI.

HTH,

--
Cheers,