Re: Xfree86 problems, sarge/woody

On Mar 02 2007, Wackojacko wrote:

> Arlie Stephens wrote:
>
> >The complaint is that it fails to find a framebuffer, regardless of
> >which answer I give to the question of whether or not to use the
> >kernel's framebuffer.
>
> Have you tried manually editing the file?  Comment out the UseFBDev
> option below.  There are two other modules not found found errors you
> may need to address.  See below.

I had not tried. I consider myself clueless with regard to X
configurations, and figured that dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 was
about my level of competency.

I tried your suggestions just now - the result was a more or less
working X, complete with a couple of new error messages, and what
appears to be a totally trashed window manager setup.

In the past I've had some success with deinstalling and reinstalling
window managers that behave this way, so that's what I'll be trying
next - my guess is that "aptitude dist-upgrade --with-reccomends" got
me half of gnome, instead of the previously installed kde, though I
thought I checked for things like that. In any case, I'm not too
worried about the window manager muddle, at least until I find out
whether my usual approach works.

The new complaints follow:

(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
	No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: failed
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

The mouse - which is PS2 - appears to be working. I don't know what
"APM" is.

I'm surprised that commenting out the framebuffer line worked, since I
believe I'd tried both settings of that line - "true" and "false",
courtesy of dpkg-reconfigure.

I'll poke this some more after work - this is a personal system, so it
only gets worked on in off hours.

--
Arlie

(Arlie Stephens	                              arlie@worldash.org)