Re: Newie questions about security

Celejar wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 13:51:11 -0800
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
>
>> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> I may be misunderstanding Paul's point, but the Shorewall documentation
> has an entire page [0], titled "Standalone firewall", explaining how to
> set up Shorewall as a firewall on a standalone system.

What I said mostly applies to Windows.  While it's possible to do such a
configuration and have it work reliably on Linux, it's still better
practice to make sure systems to be protected are on their own sanitized,
safe network segment instead of trusting software on the same host as the
one to be protected from a hostile network segment.