Re: usb audio device & sound card

Mark Grieveson wrote:
>>> Hi.  I have a cheap usb audio device for Skype, and a regular
>>> sound card for the rest of the computer.  I'm using Etch.  I
>>> would like to be able to get sound when browsing the internet, or
>>> listening to music, or watching movies, from the soundcard, while
>>> simultaneously being able to use the usb audio device for Skype.
>>>

> Scott Reese wrote:
>> My situation is similar overall, but completely different in all of
>> the particulars, so if this advice is completely useless, I
>> apologize....
>
>> I created a file in my home directory named .asoundrc with the
>> following contents:
>
>> pcm.!default { type hw card 1 }
>
>> ctl.!default { type hw card 1 }
>

>> This sets the card listed as 1 in my /proc/asound/cards to be my
>> default sound card for alsa.  Then, I set the programs that play
>> sound to use alsa, and by default they start using the USB device.
>
>> Then, I had to set twinkle to use the onboard card specifically
>> rather than just using the default device.
>
>> Occasionally, the cards are initialized in the reverse order
>> (Onboard is 1 and USB is 0).  If this starts happening enough to
>> bother me, I will write a script to dynamically create the
>> .asoundrc file when I log in based on the contents of
>> /proc/asound/cards.
>
>> I don't know if this is helpful to you.  I don't use Skype, so I
>> don't know if you can specify the output device in those settings.
>
> Hello Scott.  Thanks for the reply.  Yes, Skype does have the option
> to specify the output device; so, that's not a concern.  If I could
> have the soundcard recognized as the default, with the
> usb-audio-device (a phone-like gadget) available for skype, that
> would be perfect.  I did try setting up the hidden file, as you
> suggested, but the usb-audio-device became the default (playing
> defendguin while holding a phone like device to my ear just will not
> do.)  It did work to make both devices recognized as choices for the
> volume control, though, which is good.  But applications used the
> usb-audio-device (ie, the cheap phone-like thingy for Skype).  Do you
> have any hints on how I get the machine to set the soundcard as the
> default, and the usb-audio-device as the available second-banana?
>
> Thanks. Mark

Greetings Mark:

It's been a long time since I fiddled with that stuff.  I don't think
that it caused me a lot of pain and suffering or I would remember it
better.  The reference material for the .asoundrc file is at:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php

If your programs are not respecting the alsa defaults, perhaps they are
not configured to use alsa directly.  Perhaps they are set up to use oss
or esd or arts or something?

- -Scott