Re: usb audio device & sound card

Scott Reese wrote:
> My situation is similar overall, but completely different in all of the
> particulars, so if this advice is completely useless, I apologize....

> I created a file in my home directory named .asoundrc with the following
> contents:

> pcm.!default {
>     type hw
>     card 1
> }

> ctl.!default {
>     type hw
>     card 1
> }

> This sets the card listed as 1 in my /proc/asound/cards to be my default
> sound card for alsa.  Then, I set the programs that play sound to use
> alsa, and by default they start using the USB device.

> Then, I had to set twinkle to use the onboard card specifically rather
> than just using the default device.

> Occasionally, the cards are initialized in the reverse order (Onboard is
> 1 and USB is 0).  If this starts happening enough to bother me, I will
> write a script to dynamically create the .asoundrc file when I log in
> based on the contents of /proc/asound/cards.

> I don't know if this is helpful to you.  I don't use Skype, so I don't
> know if you can specify the output device in those settings.

Hello Scott.  Thanks for the reply.  Yes, Skype does have the option to specify the output device; so, that's not a concern.  If I could have the soundcard recognized as the default, with the usb-audio-device (a phone-like gadget) available for skype, that would be perfect.  I did try setting up the hidden file, as you suggested, but the usb-audio-device became the default (playing defendguin while holding a phone like device to my ear just will not do.)  It did work to make both devices recognized as choices for the volume control, though, which is good.  But applications used the usb-audio-device (ie, the cheap phone-like thingy for Skype).  Do you have any hints on how I get the machine to set the soundcard as the default, and the usb-audio-device as the available second-banana?

Thanks.
Mark