Re: How to best use the list?

Dave Walker wrote:

> I have done a bit of posting here during my attempt to get sarge
> running smoothly, and my experience has shown me that I need to learn
> a bit on how best to use this list.
>
> I use WinXP and Gmail to communictate to the list (still struggling
> with debian on another box). I have been advised to reply to the list,
> to bottom post removing irrelevant sections, and to use plain text
> rather than HMTL. Seems reasonable.
>
> I think I am using plain text now. Gmail allows either rich formatting or
> text.

Yes, it's plaintext now.

> What I don't know is how to reply to the list so that I don't create a
> separate thread with each e-mail. If I use the "reply" button in
> Gmail, the reply goes to the sender, and not to the list. It would be
> infinitely better for me to keep similar posts in a thread together,
> and to reply to the list.
>
> Anybody know how to do that in Gmail?

Gmail is not designed with mailing lists in mind and is not suitable for
such usage.  Go get Thunderbird or some other real news client and try
using nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user instead.  That's the
newsgroup version of this same list, and how I read/post to it.