Re: Linux and firewire drives

I have a RAID1 running on a pair of external FW drives. I've found that
Linux is picky about the chipset on the external drives, however, and have
had some cases that work under MacOS X not work at all under Linux. I also
ran into a situation in which two identical cases could not be
distinguished, though either one worked individually.

Interesting..
I have been looking at replacing my home backup server - it's currently a Proliant 6500, with 7 x 73gb drives...wanted to run something a little less thirsty :-) I have a Proliant DL360 (190watts vs 750 for the 6500) - I was going to fit a firewire card to it and run either the duo, or a couple of the Western Digital 500GB MyBook Premium USB/Firewire drives (2 x 500GB mirrored). It currently has 9 machines backing up to it, a combination of Linux (sarge on 386 hardware) and Solaris (9 and 10), speed is not a huge issue, it is on a seperate vlan so traffic is seperated....I was just wondering if the firewire drives was a feasable thing to do..

Cheers