Re: Fonts from GDM?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 10:12:10PM -0500, Matthew K Poer wrote:
> An odd situation: When I start Fluxbox (or any other WM) from GDM, I get
> to use the font and cursor set by GDM.
>
> If I start fluxbox with 'startx' I am given another font and cursor.
>
> If I knew which font and cursor GDM was using, I would like to have
> fluxbox use them, but I don't. And I can't find where GDM's setting is
> that tells it which to use. /etc/gdm/gdm.conf doesn't mention much on
> fonts or cursors. I've explored /etc/X11 and found nothing. Can anyone
> point me in the right direction?

I spent some considerable time googling this with no great results
*except* that there is an alternative call x-cursor-theme. Its not
there in my setup, but if you install one of the cursor theme packages
like artwiz-cursor or big-cursor, etc I assume that alternative would
get created at that point. In my searching I did read once that gdm
actually uses the default X cursors (hence your inability to find how
gdm selects it...) and so maybe fluxbox has its own set of cursors
that it is using somehow.

I will tell you this -- the actual cursor selection mechanism appears
to be a deep mystery.