Re: Ethernet card Marvell

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 10:09:30AM +0100, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> I have a Marvell Ethernet card (on motherboard) model 88E8053.
> It is not recognized by Etch (however the CD I tried to install from
> is rather old +- 1 year).
> (note: under Fedora 6 it is recognized and works fine with driver sky2)
>
> What is the current situation / support about Marvell 88E8053 under
> Etch ?
> As my Etch CD is rather old do I need to burn a new one ?
> If so where can I check which hardware is supported in .iso Etch to avoid
> unecessary download ?
> Do I need to make some 'home-computing' like download driver and/or
> source (via a supported Ethernet card) card  to build my own module..etc.. ?

You need the sky2 module.  The Etch (2.6.18) module should work well
enough to get a newer kernel and compile it.  To get 2.6.18 in Etch, you
will need a newer install disk.  Yesterday's daily build definitely has
sky2.

You will need to obtain a 2.6.21-rc1 kernel or better (or at least a
newish kernel + sky2.c and sky2.h version 1.13) because there are some
serious bugs in earlier versons.

Use make-kpkg (in package kernel-package) to build your kernel and
you'll stay inside the Debian package management system.
--
Rob
  Nothing is finished until the paperwork is done.