Re: Undigesting digests (was: Number of OT Posts)

Jim Hyslop wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> You're supposed to undigest digests back into their component messages
>> after receiving the digest
>
> Interesting. I didn't know that (and I suspect most people like me who
> are learning to kick the Windows dependency habit probably don't know
> that either :-).

I'll chalk that assumption up to the lack of decent mail handling facilities
for windows.

> I always thought a digest was for end-user convenience, to keep the
> inbox from getting cluttered.

That would be a list summary, and something most mailing list software and
sites don't support because of it's limited usability.

> Am I correct in presuming, then, that the
> idea behind digests is to reduce the number of emails transmitted from
> one host to another?

That would be the case.  It's sometimes easier and less troublesome to
accept one all-encompassing email with component messages to break out than
to accept a few hundred in a deluge throughout a 24-hour period.