Re: No Mouse in X

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:42:47PM -0600, Dave Walker wrote:

> re-booted, logged in as root
> cd to /etc/x11/
>
> less XF86Config-4 to confirm that there were 2 serarate mouse sections
> for "InputDevice" and that 2 input devices were present in
> "ServerLayout"
> one was "Configured Mouse" - the other "Generic Mouse"

I don't think you want two mouse devices in ServerLayout. Do you mean
Generic Keyboard and Configured Mouse??

> used ls -l  and noted that file XF86Config-4 date was 2007-02-27 17:03
> and additionally confirmed that system time was correct
>
> ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and did not change any options
> (selected previously configured defaults as they appeared) mouse port
> is /dev/psaux and mouse is PS/2
>
> no options were changed because the ones present reflected the desired
> configuration. There is no option during the process to remove a
> mouse.
>
> looked at the file time stamp after running dpkg as above
> no change - appears that the file was not modified at all.

have you manually modified that file? if so, the debconf won't modify
it. There are instructions on how to reset it for modification by
debconf at the beginning of the file. First, make a backup copy of the
file, just in case, then follow those instructions at the head of the
file and try again.

> I can only guess that the file was not updated because no options were
> changed? I am at a loss otherwise to explain why the time stamp was
> not changed. The contents of the file was also unchanged.
>
> startx still results in no mouse action.
>
> I should add that I do have a well behaved mouse at the command line
> and in Midnight Commander (mc), and can cut and paste between terminal
> sessions using the mouse. From this I assume that gpm is running.
> gpm -v returns 1.19.6

IIRC, gpm can interfere sometimes. you might disable gpm, or you have
to configure X to get its mouse data from gpm.