No Mouse in X

If it is a PS/2 mouse you should not have that /dev/input/mouse
section. For PS/2 you should be fine with just /dev/psaux.

Use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to reconfigure X again and just
choose PS/2 when selecting mouse.

let us know if the problem still exists.

Couple of other things:
1. Please reply to the list, that way others can also help you.
2. Please bottom post with irrelevant sections removed instead of top posting.
3. text emails are preferred over HTML.

raju

re-booted, logged in as root
cd to /etc/x11/

less XF86Config-4 to confirm that there were 2 serarate mouse sections
for "InputDevice" and that 2 input devices were present in
"ServerLayout"
one was "Configured Mouse" - the other "Generic Mouse"

used ls -l  and noted that file XF86Config-4 date was 2007-02-27 17:03
and additionally confirmed that system time was correct

ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and did not change any options
(selected previously configured defaults as they appeared) mouse port
is /dev/psaux and mouse is PS/2

no options were changed because the ones present reflected the desired
configuration. There is no option during the process to remove a
mouse.

looked at the file time stamp after running dpkg as above
no change - appears that the file was not modified at all.

I can only guess that the file was not updated because no options were
changed? I am at a loss otherwise to explain why the time stamp was
not changed. The contents of the file was also unchanged.

startx still results in no mouse action.

I should add that I do have a well behaved mouse at the command line
and in Midnight Commander (mc), and can cut and paste between terminal
sessions using the mouse. From this I assume that gpm is running.
gpm -v returns 1.19.6

I am willing to consider any further suggestions.