Re: OT: sponge burning!

On 27 Feb, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 04:11:40PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Well, if there is above-zero unemployment (that is, there exists a
> surplus of labor supply), and there exists demand (that is, employers
> are hiring), then wages will increase until they get people to take
> the jobs.  No government intervention needed.

     Actually, the opposite is more common; when there is above zero
unemployment (surplus of labor supply), wages stay low.  Both statements
are, of course, oversimplifications.

> Now, when our broken immigration policy allows criminals to come in
> with impunity, work off the books, receive the benefits of social
> services paid for by others' taxes yet not pay taxes themselves, we
> have a serious problem.  Since those criminals can work for less then
> a legitimate tax payer.

   The majority of illegal immigrants pay payroll taxes, but are not
eligible for social security or medicaid.  So there is a positive tax
contribution, also, and some studies estimate that the net is positive.
While I'm not in favor of allowing illegal immigration, oversimplifying
or distorting the picture won't help to arrive at a reasoned, fair,
solution.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org    |                     |