Re: What's the best way to backup to dvd?

Bob McGowan wrote:
> Caoilte O'Connor wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm looking to backup my mp3 collection (50gig or so) to dvds. I'll
>> have to tar it all because some of the filenames are too long and a
>> few have strange accents.
>>
>> What would people suggest is the best way to go about doing this? I
>> guess I need to find the best way of creating a series of correctly
>> sized tar files from the directory tree I'm targetting. Does anyone
>> know of any scripts or a program that can do this?
>>
>> Thanks,

> Manual archive creation would be a bit of a chore, and could also end up
> wasting space of the DVD.  However, it is a scriptable method and allows
> you to create DVDs with specific file sets and a file listing as a table
> of contents.
>
> I've just started working with DVDs and am not totally familiar with all
> the ins and outs, but at least some of them allow growing the content.
> So if you've already got your files in subdirectories, you could simply
> copy subdirectories to the DVD and add new files at periodic intervals.
>  More work, but the advantage of quick access to specific files may
> outweigh the time issue.
>
> If you just want to back it up, cramming every last byte you can onto
> each DVD, and you don't need random access to particular files on random
> DVDs, then the cdbackup package might be of interest.  It will take the
> stdout of an archive program such as tar or cpio and stream it to the
> DVDs.  The down side is that to get to some part near the end would
> require reading all the intervening DVDs.
>
> Bob

Thanks for this thread.  A bit late for me because I wiped out my 90 gig
s of mp3 files by mistake (big oops).  I had 3 dvd's worth backed up,
but all the music that I added in the last few months is now gone.  Oh
well, never listened to most of it anyway.

IMO, cdbackup is definitely the way to go.  If I had have done that, all
of my music would be restored by now.  On the plus side, I've been
ripping cd's into ogg format and the files are smaller so I can cram
even more music on the HD. :)

Joe