Re: What's the best way to backup to dvd?

Caoilte O'Connor wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking to backup my mp3 collection (50gig or so) to dvds. I'll
have to tar it all because some of the filenames are too long and a
few have strange accents.

What would people suggest is the best way to go about doing this? I
guess I need to find the best way of creating a series of correctly
sized tar files from the directory tree I'm targetting. Does anyone
know of any scripts or a program that can do this?

Thanks,

Manual archive creation would be a bit of a chore, and could also end up wasting space of the DVD. However, it is a scriptable method and allows you to create DVDs with specific file sets and a file listing as a table of contents.

I've just started working with DVDs and am not totally familiar with all the ins and outs, but at least some of them allow growing the content. So if you've already got your files in subdirectories, you could simply copy subdirectories to the DVD and add new files at periodic intervals. More work, but the advantage of quick access to specific files may outweigh the time issue.

If you just want to back it up, cramming every last byte you can onto each DVD, and you don't need random access to particular files on random DVDs, then the cdbackup package might be of interest. It will take the stdout of an archive program such as tar or cpio and stream it to the DVDs. The down side is that to get to some part near the end would require reading all the intervening DVDs.

Bob