Re: how to send files from a pc to my home server and viceversa

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 05:55 -0800, Jordi wrote:
> Hello
>
> Yesterday I was able to run my server. I have 2 computers at home, one
> is server and the other is not. Both are connected to router. One uses
> Xubuntu and the other Windows XP.
> I know Xubuntu is not Debian but it is based on it. Few people in
> Xubuntu know how to do this, I asked, no solution was found to me.
>
> What do you recommend me to send files between them? I mean, send
> files from the server to the other to save backups, and from the XP to
> the server to send files for anything.
>
> To make a ftp server? Or what?
> Thanks again
>
> Jordi
I use FTP or SFTP when I have to share files on my network.

To use FTP, the server should install the server daemon, thusly:
  apt-get install pure-ftpd
It should configure itself adequately

Then, on the Windows computer, install an FTP client. I use FileZilla on
Windows (google 'filezilla').

You'll need to tell Filezilla the IP address of the server on your
network, typically something like 192.168.1.xxx. Log in to the server
with your username/password that you normally use. Once you're in, you
have access to the files and directories that you normally would. You
can download or upload any file you have access to.

--
Matthew K Poer