Re: question about dns server at home

Jordi wrote:
<snip>

> So I need that IP for my home server.
>
> If I need another IP for a dns server, and must have the dns server in
> another place or pc, I think I should not do a dns server. For I need
> my IP for my WEB server and can't have other pc in other home ( I just
> have only ONE home lol!)
>
> Now this will be a home server but maybe I try to make some business
> with it, so I must not use a free service that forbides wining money
> or use commercialy.
>
> Tell me if there is something wrong in what I said!
>
> By the way, I think I missed something...what more do I need now to
> have my server ?
> Is this? :
> 1) Contract a domain name
> 2) Contract someone to deal internet traffic from that domain name to
> my static public ip ??
>
> Can these 2 things be done by the same company for a reasonable year
> price?
> Does it matter if I am in Spain ? Should I go to a spanish domain
> seller or can I sell this services anywere?
> Do you know some good company that gives this? What is yours?
>
> Thanks to all again, you are all nice people.
>
> Jordi

1 server is sufficient. The DNS stuff hardly imposes any overhead.
My domain provider also requires 2 dns servers to point to my domain. As my
website is primarily for family and friends and therefore not mission
critical, I have simply defined two dns servers in my bind configuration,
both pointing to my single public ip (dns1.mydomain.com and
dns2.mydomain.com). Those "two" servers are listed with my provider.
If you really want to play safe you should have 2 different and external dns
servers.
In my case it is quite simple: As I run apache and bind on the same physical
machine, it either works or not! So if dns is down, my webserver and
mailserver is also down, so who cares about dns and vice versa? ;-)

I have an adsl connection (including unlimited data throughput) from one
provider and my domain registration from another. There are no particular
benefits from using only one provider for both services.

Best regards
Jan

--
** Do NOT use the reply-to address. You'll end up in the trash can
** Mail me at: jan A.T schledermann D0T org