Re: question about dns server at home

Jordi wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I would like to ask questions about DNS servers:
>
> 1) What is needed to host my own domain name at home? Do I need 2
> static public ip? Or just one? If I need 2, do I need 2 dsl
> connections?

A zone needs 2 or more name-servers. To the outside they will look the
same, internally one will be slave. For full control you might want to
run the master nameserver yourself. A slave should be be at a different
location. Either get somebody to reciprocate (you serve his domain, he
serves yours), or get some cheap/free outside service. I'd opt to not
serve as public dns server myself. Rather go to a place like
zoneedit.com. It is easy and virtually free. To assess your options,
install bind and get familiar with it. Run it to serve names locally.
Get a book on DNS&bind.
> 2) Does it consume many resources? Is the access to my web server
> faster or slower if I host my domain name in it than having others
> doing it?

If somebody wants your ip-adress they are going to send you an email or
request a web-page or whatever. A DNS lookup is insignificant in comparison.
> Resume:  is hosting my domain name a good idea? Or just simply stupid?

At least it is a learning experience. If you only have one public
ip-adress there is not really any point, since that one public ip has to
remain static. If it ever were to change, the glue-record in your
parent-zone would have to change so you would need to involve outside
people, i.e. the independence would be illusory. If you have more than
one public ip-adress, you would be able to implement changes to that
second address without involving outside parties (execpt for the
automatic zone-transfer to your secondary DNS-server).

--
Håkon Alstadheim