Re: smtp time spam filtering

On Mon 2007-02-26 14:26:58 -0800 Paul Johnson wrote:
> David Hart wrote:
> > On Sat 2007-02-24 21:03:11 -0500 Greg Folkert wrote:
> >>
> >> Bouncing... bingo. If the sender doesn't handle it properly, it isn't my
> >> problem.
> >
> > You've already outlined a case where bouncing spam became your problem.
> > You said in an earlier mail "I used to not whitelist murphy, but that
> > got me auto-unsub'd from (most) Debian lists I subscribe to, for
> > "bouncing" the SPAM"
>
> 4xx rejects work better than 5xx for content-related rejects:  After all
> there is a chance the message would be accepted under better circumstances
> in such a case.  Or read the list via
> nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user instead.  :o)

Why would a message identified as spam be identified as anything else at
a later date and why would those be "better circumstances"?

How does 4XXing the message to the mailing list help?  Surely you
are giving the list server a bit extra work to do as it will keep
retrying the message until it times out after a few days?

--
David Hart <debian@tonix.org>