Re: usb audio device & sound card

Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Hi.  I have a cheap usb audio device for Skype, and a regular sound
> card for the rest of the computer.  I'm using Etch.  I would like to
> be able to get sound when browsing the internet, or listening to
> music, or watching movies, from the soundcard, while simultaneously
> being able to use the usb audio device for Skype.  However, when I
> plug in the the usb audio device, it takes over sound for everything.
> Opening the volume control, and changing the device, does not work
> (the usb device still controls).  If I run alsaconf, then the
> soundcard takes over, and I cannot get the usb device working with
> Skype (even if I try to change the device within that program.)
>
> The computer is set up at my workplace (a shelter) to allow homeless
> people the option of phoning long distance in Canada and the US
> (otherwise, I don't use Skype.)  Anyway, my Windows using friends are
> astounded that I'm still dealing with issues like this on the
> computer at work.  So, not only for the usability of my computer, but
> also my dignity, I am pleading with you for help on this.
>
> Thanks, Mark

Greetings Mark:

My situation is similar overall, but completely different in all of the
particulars, so if this advice is completely useless, I apologize.

I use the twinkle VoIP software at work on my laptop.  I have headphones
and a mike plugged into the onboard soundcard, and a USB audio device
plugged into the system also.  My default sound card is the USB audio
device for music & system sounds and the onboard card is used for VoIP.

To get this working, I had to make a few setting changes.  First, the
contents of my /proc/asound/cards are:

 0 [ICH6           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6
                      Intel ICH6 with STAC9750,51 at 0xdffffe00, irq 169
 1 [UAC3553B       ]: USB-Audio - UAC3553B
                      Philips UAC3553B at usb-0000:00:1d.7-2.3, full speed

I created a file in my home directory named .asoundrc with the following
contents:

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}

This sets the card listed as 1 in my /proc/asound/cards to be my default
sound card for alsa.  Then, I set the programs that play sound to use
alsa, and by default they start using the USB device.

Then, I had to set twinkle to use the onboard card specifically rather
than just using the default device.

Occasionally, the cards are initialized in the reverse order (Onboard is
1 and USB is 0).  If this starts happening enough to bother me, I will
write a script to dynamically create the .asoundrc file when I log in
based on the contents of /proc/asound/cards.

I don't know if this is helpful to you.  I don't use Skype, so I don't
know if you can specify the output device in those settings.

- -Scott