usb audio device & sound card

Hi.  I have a cheap usb audio device for Skype, and a regular sound card for the rest of the computer.  I'm using Etch.  I would like to be able to get sound when browsing the internet, or listening to music, or watching movies, from the soundcard, while simultaneously being able to use the usb audio device for Skype.  However, when I plug in the the usb audio device, it takes over sound for everything.  Opening the volume control, and changing the device, does not work (the usb device still controls).  If I run alsaconf, then the soundcard takes over, and I cannot get the usb device working with Skype (even if I try to change the device within that program.)

The computer is set up at my workplace (a shelter) to allow homeless people the option of phoning long distance in Canada and the US (otherwise, I don't use Skype.)  Anyway, my Windows using friends are astounded that I'm still dealing with issues like this on the computer at work.  So, not only for the usability of my computer, but also my dignity, I am pleading with you for help on this.

Thanks,
Mark