Re: old packages

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 09:59:09PM -0800, Petra Kabayo wrote:
> Thanks! I just wanted to compare the MySql banners. The banner for -4sarge7 is 4.1.11-Debian_4sarge7. Need to verify if the banner for -4 would be something like 4.1.11-Debian_4. For vulnerability checking relying on banners.

Well, you could have just asked :-)

By the way, checking for vulnerabilities based on banners is probably
not the best way to do it, unless you always run the pristine upstream
version.  The reason is that Debian patches lots of things.  If you are
interested in making sure your machine is secure, then your best bet is
to go ahead and subscribe to debian-security-announce (and
debian-security if you are that interested) and watch for DSAs (Debian
Security Announcements) to come out.

Regards,

-Roberto

--