Re: Etch not booting on Adaptec 2420sa

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 19:16 -0500, Kyle Messineo wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I just installed the latest etch distro (kernel 2.6.18-3-686) onto a
> whitebox intel pc running an Adaptec 2420sa raid controller and 4x sata
> 750gb hd's. The raid is configured as raid5 on three drives with the 4th
> running hotspare.
>
> The etch installer booted fine, saw the raid vol, let me partition it
> and run a full install. I installed the grub loader into mbr and all
> looked fine and dandy.
>
> The unit boots to the grub menu just fine. When I select the kernel to
> boot, it gives me the folloeing and just hangs:

> Booting 'Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-3-686'
>
> root (hd0,0)
>  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro
>    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x131990]
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686
>    [Linux-initrd @ 0x1fba9000, 0x44675b bytes]
>
> savedefault

> Any suggestions?
> I booted to rescue mode and mounted the partition. The kernel images are
> there and look ok.

I believe you have run into the "Grub cannot boot from a 2 terabyte or
larger disk" as it only supports a smaller than 2TB partition table.

http://www.google.com/search?q=grub+2TB+booting

Not sure when or if this will bite Etch hard in the next couple of
years... I hope not.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup