Re: udev issues backing up /dev

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 08:56:32AM -0800, Bob McGowan wrote:
> rir wrote:
> >My question is what should I be backing up regarding udev?
> >You imply that, on a running system, /dev/.static/dev should be backed
> >up as /dev.

> I can't add anything to the discussion re. /dev, but am curious about
> your reference to "a working 5-1/4 drive or a 60meg 1/4 inch tape drive,".
>
> Since most hard disks are now less than 5-1/4 inches, are you referring
> to floppy disks?  And that tape size is ancient, I think.

You are right.  I have had rare occasion to look for stuff that is on
10 and 15 year old backups from my home systems.

> If you have access to either a CD or DVD burner, you might want to look
> into cdbackup/cdrestore (package name is cdbackup, IIRC).  From the man

I do use CD- and DVD-RWs for backups these days.  So far, I have most
of my partitions at under 3.5 gigs and so don't have to chunk things to
fit on DVDs.  Well, I do have /pub and /priv filesystems that are large,
but these are pretty static and mostly replaceable.  I suspect I'll move
to blue-ray discs within a few years before I feel a need for a chunker
like cdbackup, but I'm am glad to have the reference.

My comment about 60-meg QIC tapes was forward looking; I imagine that in
15 years I'll have the same problems with CDs.

Be well,
rir