Re: updated iceweasel firefox now hijacked from homepage to ads!

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 11:22 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 00:28:14 -0500, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > With my latest upgrade on sid to iceweasel 2.0.0.2+dfg-1. i now have my firefox opening up to
> > some hijacked web site called
> > http://firefox/
> > which is a advertising site and it tries to popup open
> > http://ads1.revenue.net/load/227700/index.html?0_R_NUM=9563354...
> >
> > how to get rid of this annoying behavior and open to my local homepage (achieved by manually hitting
> > the house icon on the menu bar...).
>
> I think you have two issues: The first one is a known bug of the latest
> iceweasel version; see for example the report
>
> #412344: A start-up page is http://firefox/
>
> As far as I can tell, this overrides any kind of setting that you can
> make (homepage, start with blank page, etc.) Since the bug is known I
> hope it will be fixed soon.
>
> The fact that you get served ads must be related to your ISP which seems
> to redirect unresolvable host names to some advertisement site. This
> might be a good moment to look into the adblock extension in combination
> with filterset.G and/or a filtering proxy such as privoxy. (I also see
> the http://firefox/ problem but I just get a "no such domain"
> notification from privoxy.)

http://firefox/ redirects to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/ .
(Using Firefox 1.0.4 in Sarge.) This feature may be (likely) missing
from Iceweasel.

--
Szia:
                        Nyizsa.

Click to get a free credit repair consultation, raise your FICO score
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/CAaCMPJkjb9vdrMyRwpewP6iqjSQUoa4/