Re: Subtle but annoying X startup problem

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 09:25:51PM +0000, Bob Cox wrote:
> I have used Linux for several years, but always in CLI only mode.  I
> have a Debian box running mail and webservers and also a couple of NSLU2
> 'slugs' running Armeb Debian.  And they're all fine.
>
> Recently, however,I installed Etch with the default desktop settings, on
> a PC of reasonably modern spec, to see how Gnome and KDE had matured
> since I last tried them, some three or four years ago.
>
> The installation went well and the only real problem was due to my Sharp
> 19" LCD monitor, which although detected, was not recognised, resulting
> in my first sight of a Linux GUI for some years looking less than
> impressive at only 640x480 rather than the expected 1280x1024
> resolution.

Rather than hand hacking config file values: run (as root)

dexconf

[Branden Robinson's X configure and auto-guessing hardware script]

then

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -plow

[Which asks you the questions needed for X configuration at low
priority: it keeps the answers used previously]

Hope this helps,

Andy