Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:34:44 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > And I boot into the text console and fire up the GUI using
> > startxfce4.  (There are similar commands for GNOME, KDE, fvwm, etc,
> > etc.)
> >
> > So, quitting/restarting X is simple, negates the need to reboot and
> > is *faster* than a reboot.
>
> I totally agree Ron... I too (AOL) use startxfce4 unless I'm playing around
> with other wm's (still suffering since wmii moved to up to 3, though I
> see wmii2 is still around... maybe its time to go back).

On my latest install, the only WM I have is Xfce. I boot into the
console, and 'startx' takes me into Xfce (4 letters less - yay!).
[Yes, I know there's such a thing as an alias, and that there are ways
of setting a default WM ...]

> In fact, I find my self using more and more stuff in xterms and if it
> wasn't for having to do real work (book-keeping in gnucash) I'd likely
> not be running X hardly at all.

Same here, but I just enjoy the web better with graphics (I haven't yet
investigated the possibility of a framebuffer solution ...). Learning
mutt is high on my todo list, and then I'll find a TUI RSS reader that
I like, and that'll be about it.

Celejar