Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 01:27:17PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/21/07 13:12, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> >> xorg is only core to people who still (*even* if they don't realize
> >> it) think that Real Operating Systems are designed the same way that
> >>  MS Windows is designed.
> >>
> >> Your penance is to make a pilgrimage to Portland and walk up Linus'
> >> driveway on your knees, while reading the Green Dragon Book.
> >
> > huh. check my headers you icedove-using-geek-wannabe! ;-P
> >
> > oh. and no its not forged.
> >
> > seriously though, and unfortunately, for many people it *is*
> > core. Having X totally crap out on them would be a good thing, IMO.
>
> And I boot into the text console and fire up the GUI using
> startxfce4.  (There are similar commands for GNOME, KDE, fvwm, etc,
> etc.)
>
> So, quitting/restarting X is simple, negates the need to reboot and
> is *faster* than a reboot.

I totally agree Ron... I too (AOL) use startxfce4 unless I'm playing around
with other wm's (still suffering since wmii moved to up to 3, though I
see wmii2 is still around... maybe its time to go back).

In fact, I find my self using more and more stuff in xterms and if it
wasn't for having to do real work (book-keeping in gnucash) I'd likely
not be running X hardly at all.