Re: Download cd-iso images

* Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> [070225 23:35]:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:14:46AM -0800, Emile van der Merwe wrote:
>> I'm new to the linux environment, but would like to try it out for
>> myself.  I want to download the cd-iso images, but wanted to know
>> if I have to download all 14 iso images under i386 directory?
>>
> No.  The first should be sufficient for most needs, assuming you
> have an Internet connection.  If you have a fast connection, you can
> simply download the netinst image and it will connect you to the
> Internet and download everything you need.

The most popular packages are on the first few CDs.  The first CD is
sufficient to give you a basic working Debian desktop system.  The
first two or three CDs should give you almost every package which you
need for normal desktop use.

Once Debian is installed and running, you can download additional
packages individually, as the need arises (even over a dial-up
connection).

The "jigsaw download" package jigdo -- which is available for Window$
as well as for almost every GNU/Linux distribution -- is the easiest
way to download a Debian CD or DVD ISO image.

If you have a broadband connection and wish to use the "netinstall"
approach (rather than installing off-line from CDs), you can download
a minimal CD ISO image.  But if you already have downloaded the first
full CD ISO image, you can run the netinstall from that.

See http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/