Re: We need an off-topic list (was Re: REALLY OT: News Flash)

Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
>>>   I use mutt in non-threaded mode so I have no idea. :-)
>>     So the list should adjust itself to how you read mail?
>
>   A list that the debian organization reccomends for new debian users to go
> to seek help should be as accomodating to that goal as possible, including,
> yes, adjusting it self to how everybody reads mail. Keep in mind a lot of
> these people are brand spankin' new debian users, who may still even be
> reading all of their email under windows in outlook express!
>
>>>   IANADD, but I would like to see something get going with this soon... what
>>> is the procedure? Does a debian developer "sponsor" the mailing list? Is
>>> there some sort of vote that has to happen?
>>     This too is predictable.  And no, it's not happening.  Doubtful it will
>> happen since to move any OT discussion you have to get all the participants to
>> switch over en masse.  Furthermore most technical lists that have tried it
>> have found a really odd thing.  On-topic discussions on the Off-Topic list.
>> Great, now we have to move it all back to the main list, en masse.  Where,
>> d'oh, some portions go off-topic again!
>
>   On-topic discussins on an "off-topic" list are fine... it's the other way
> around that's bad and could probably be mitigated by having another list.
>
>   It's already been pointed out to me that this is a list specifically for
> debian users to discuss whatever they think other debian users might find of
> interest, including seeking and providing help. So my position now is that
> we need a "debian-help" list that is specifically for technical support.
>
>   And like I said before, either way I'll probably remian subscribed to
> both. But I would like to see new debian users accomodated, and encouraged
> to keep using the mailing lists and debian itself, not pushed away by a
> flood of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with debian.
>
>     - Tyler

I qualify as one of the "brand spanking new members" and I say I have
not laughed so hard in a long time.  Keep the OT stuff going....

There are forums and other online resources for people to get help.  The
technical questions posted on this list seem to be answered.  Sometimes
by more than one person.  What's wrong with a bit of off-topic
discussion on occasion?  Must we eat, drink and sleep only Debian?  May
we also talk about other distributions of GNU/Linux?

The way I see it, what ties everyone here together is that they chose
Debian over other operating systems.  Some people may need help, and
they are getting it.  Other people are here to answer questions, and
sometimes things get off topic.

In older times I was a sysop of a BBS, and I know how threads can change
topics.  What starts out as a help request can result in a discussion
about the weather.  It doesn't matter.

There is a delete key.

Joe