Re: REALLY OT: News Flash

Nigel Henry wrote:
> Personally I think this thread is a bit sick, and also a bit sad.

    That's ok if we can think that of you.

> using debian to get answers to their problems.

    You thought wrong.

> What's the matter folks???

    You perception?

> Who gives a shit about politics, and what the hell has it it got to do with
> the debian mailing list???

    It's the Debian *USER* list, not the *DEBIAN* User list.  As has been
discussed several times every time a long thread comes up the list is for the
discussion of topics of interest to users of Debian.  Most times this means
discussing Debian itself.  Sometimes, it doesn't.

    I have never seen any piece of information or missive from a moderator
which disputes that.  Now, given that I've got 3 Debian boxes (2 in 2
completely different states) and 1 KUbuntu box (A Debian derivative) does that
qualify me as a user of Debian?  Yup.  So if we, as users of Debian, want to
venture into or political peccadilloes every now and again, that's fine.  What
 wouldn't be fine is a bunch of, say, Windows users dunno what Debian is
coming along and discussing something truly inane like Britney's latest
hair-do or the global impact on where Anna Nicole is buried.

    Generally when it doesn't the thread is marked OT (why, I dunno), is
easily avoided, and dies out of its own accord within 2-3 weeks.  Rarely are
two large non-Debian threads going on at once.  Trust me, if you think the
list isn't mostly Debian talk my Trash says otherwise.

> Perhaps we should start a rant about religion as well. That would really get
> the ball rolling.

    Nah.  Though we can expand the political discussion a bit.  How about
venturing into the area on how France lacks free speech and they're always
trying to censor stuff?

> Perhaps I should just unsubscribe from the debian, and fedora lists. There
> seems to be less of this sort of crap on forums. At least they are moderated.

    That might just be your best bet.  Or you could understand what the list
is for and adjust your own perceptions accordingly.  Somehow I think you're
one of those who will insist the world bend to your faulty view.

> Nigel. and really pissed off with all this crap on the list.

    Then stop spewing it.