Re: REALLY OT: News Flash

Paul Johnson wrote:
Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 03:48:56PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
I'm not really convinced that's the case.  Glasnost allowed the average
Soviet to find out the full horror of their regime's history.  The
collective shock, awe and outrage of the Soviet population easily and
singlehandedly caused the implosion of the Soviet Union.  Star Wars was a
comical waste of resources.
Of course, it can also be viewed as big research project, in which case
there were some successes.

I'll grant you that much, as a research project it was moderately
successful.  Though I think you'd have a hard time arguing that it's
primary motivation was research.
There's probably a good argument to make that that Star Wars' primary motivation was sending money to people who did research projects (defense contractors, universities, think tanks, etc.).

Miles